Find Board Members
As a Twin Cities-based executive director, or board leader, you have the ongoing challenge of recruiting new, talented and committed board members who are passionate about your mission and will become strong board members and strong advocates for your organization.
Fortunately, there are hundreds of Twin Cities individuals interested in serving on boards, and approximately 650 of them are connected to MAP. For decades, MAP has been the leading board recruiting provider for area organizations.
Our program, Best on Board®, recruits and interviews interested board candidates year-round. When a nonprofit organization hires us for board recruiting, we search our candidate pool for good matches, communicate with prospective board candidates about the potential opportunity, provide them with detailed information on the nonprofit organization, and upon finding great matches, refer two candidates per board recruiting project. Our volunteer recruiters contact approximately 30 individuals per individual referral. We also provide guidance to organizations related to welcoming, orienting and mentoring new board members, as needed, based upon the organization’s life stage.
Fees for Best on Board® Services
To help sustain this program, we charge a fee determined by your annual operating budget. This fee covers the recruitment of two candidates who meet your criteria and are interested in serving on your board, as well as two passes to our Board Boot Camp training, a $130 value.
Annual Operating Budget/Fee
$500,000 or less/$500
More than $2 million/$1,200
Is Best on Board a good fit for your organization?
- We’re good at connecting nonprofits to board members from area corporations, and to professionals with skills like legal or marketing. However, some skills, like fundraising, are difficult to recruit for, due to high demand.
- We’re most successful recruiting for nonprofits that have missions that appeal to a wide audience like human services, basic needs, education and environmental organizations.
- Plan ahead. Recruiting and placing candidates can take up to six months to complete. We’ve recently introduced a new online application to speed up the front end of the process!
- We don’t recruit for officer positions. We believe experience with a specific organization and a board is beneficial prior to serving as an officer for the organization.
- We require boards to have 18 months of operating experience and an operating board structure and calendar before we recruit on their behalf.
Additional Board Candidates
If more than two candidates are requested prior to the start of a recruitment project, we recruit additional candidates at $150 per candidate.
If your organization seeks a committee chair or member, we may be able to recruit for those needs at the published rates.
If the candidates we refer do not result in a board placement, or the candidate remains on the board six months or less, MAP will do a one-time replacement of the candidate at no additional cost. Be sure to notify us on a timely basis in order for the guarantee to apply.
Helping Corporations Place Executives on Nonprofit Boards
MAP also provides executive placement, working with corporations that want to connect their executives to the community via nonprofit boards.